Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, we will do our best to provide the best care we can to you and your pets, while keeping the health of our staff members and clients at top priority. We will continue to monitor the recommendations and guidelines set forth by public health and veterinary officials regarding the outbreak, but will take additional precautions necessary to ensure everyone’s safety and health so we can keep our facility open and continue to care for your pets.
Effective Monday, February 1, 2021, we will be allowing masked clients inside the exam room for office visits only. In order to control the flow of traffic through our lobby our doors will remain locked at all times. Curbside services will still be available for any client who does not wish to come inside the hospital.
The following protocols will be set in place to follow recommended social distancing guidelines, so we can ALL prevent close contact with others:
Heart of Ankeny Animal Hospital will allow up to 2 clients into the hospital with their pet for office visits only. Curbside and drop off services will still be an option for those clients who do not wish to come inside. Please follow these protocols to ensure safety for you and our staff:
- PLEASE ENSURE YOUR PHONE IS CHARGED BEFORE COMING TO OUR FACILITY TO DROP-OFF OR PICK UP YOUR PET. This is very important to be able to communicate with our staff!
- Our phone volume has dramatically increased since we have started offering curbside services. We STRONGLY urge all our clients who don’t have PetDesk to download the app! This is a very effective, easy way for us to communicate with clients without using a phone line. We can give pricing estimates, send information, and schedule/cancel appointments much easier.
- When you arrive for your scheduled appointment please call or text our office to let us know you have arrived. If you choose to be present during your pet's exam, our staff will then escort you into the building and into an exam room. To follow social distancing guidelines and keep exposure to an absolute minimum, PLEASE REMAIN IN YOUR VEHICLE UNTIL OUR STAFF HAS TOLD YOU TO COME TO THE DOOR. Make sure your dog is SECURELY leashed, and your cats are in a safe and confined carrier before arrival.
- Masks will be required at ALL TIMES while you are in the building. If you do not wish to wear a mask, you will be required to remain curbside. Once your appointment is done, we will take care of payment in the exam room to avoid crowding in the lobby area. We strongly recommend only credit card or Care Credit payments only.
- For those who wish to remain curbside, please STAY IN YOUR VEHICLE and call our office when you arrive. Our staff will discuss your pets needs over the phone and then come out to the car to get your pet. The doctor will perform the exam and requested services and then they will call you once to discuss findings and any further recommendations. Payment will be handled over the phone, and then our staff will then return your pet to your vehicle for you.
Boarding & Daycare:
- The same appointment protocols listed above will be expected of our boarding and daycare clients as they come to drop-off or pick-up their pets.
- You must call us as you arrive each morning or afternoon. We ask that you please be patient and expect a somewhat longer wait time if there are several clients at our facility at once.
- Clients who are scheduled for boarding or daycare will need to take care of all necessary paperwork and charges prior to drop-off. We will not be able to accept your pet without all required paperwork completed. You have full access to our Boarding Policies Form, Daycare Waiver, and a fillable Boarding Check-in Form. For your convenience we have added a section at the bottom of our Boarding Check-in Form allowing you to inform us you have reviewed and understand our Boarding & Daycare Forms. This will replace a signed consent.
- Payment will meet the same expectations as listed on our Boarding Policies Form and Daycare Waiver, and clients will be expected to keep a card on file to be run for services done.
Food & Medications:
- We strongly urge you to purchase food and medications through our online pharmacy until further notice, but can make special arrangements if that is the only option. If you need medication for your pet, please request your refills via phone or the PetDesk app. Once your prescription refill has been approved and is ready, we will call or email you to let you know it is ready for pick up. Food may be picked up at your vehicle. We will accept payment over the phone prior to mailing or pick-up
- When you arrive to pick up, please call or text our office. Our staff will bring the food or medication out to your vehicle.
- Please be aware that many Prescription Diets are currently having delays in production and shipping. Diets may take several weeks to arrive as many are currently on backorder. If your pet is on a prescription diet please make sure to let us know well in advance when you are running low so we can make sure you do not run out of your pet's food. If you are having difficulty getting a specific diet please let us know and our doctors can try to find an alternative for you until production is back on schedule.
- At this time, pets are not thought to be carriers of the virus or spread the virus to humans. Even with this in consideration, if you find yourself with symptoms or under quarantine, it may be best to distance yourself from your pet as you would other people. If you must care for your pet, be sure to wash your hands before and after contacting them and consider wearing a mask when you are with them.
We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause to anyone. This is not ideally how we would like to conduct our business, but our primary goal is to keep everyone healthy throughout the duration of this pandemic.
We hope everyone stays safe, and you all take good care of yourself and loved ones!
❤ Heart of Ankeny Staff